Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Vet Tech Week: Lauren Pagonis

Meet Lauren! Lauren is one of our technicians in our Critical Care ward here at VCA VRA. Her caring nature and passion for animals does not go unnoticed! Here is what Lauren had to say about being a veterinary technician and what it means to her!

I started my veterinary career 10 years ago cleaning cages when I was 17, at Four County Animal Hospital. I loved every minute of it. I learned so much about dogs and cats and just couldn’t get enough.

I then went to Tech school at the Community College of Baltimore County and was working at Cat Hospital at Towson as a caretaker. At CHAT I only took care of cats, which was great for me, as I have a deep love for our feline patients. After finishing tech school and passing the veterinary technician national board exam, I worked at Mt. Airy Animal Hospital as a veterinary technician and continued to learn and grow as a technician.

In 2010, I started to get a little bored with general practice and wanted something more exciting, that’s when I found VCA/VRA. I started out in the Intermediate Care ward, and in 2011 I moved to Critical Care. I love taking care of our very sick patients because when they start to get better and have a chance at going home it’s an amazing feeling to know that you were able to help an animal that without your care and dedication might not have made it. Deep down though, my favorite part of my job is feeding my patients. It is the best feeling if they have not been eating due to their illness and suddenly I have found the right food for them and they chow down. It’s a great feeling to see the excitement in their eyes when they eat; it’s the one treatment I can do that doesn’t hurt.

Although I love all my patients as all vet techs do, my true loves of my life are my own pets. I have three orange tabby cats, Beauregard Rainman who is seven and was with me through Tech school, Monterey Jack who is two and was a gift for/from my husband upon his return from Afghanistan, and Jonas Pagonis who is one and got his name because it is my favorite boys name but as my last name is Pagonis would never work for a real child. We also have a Beagle named Linus who is also one and is the best running partner I could ask for.“

As you can see, we are incredibly lucky to have Lauren as a veterinary technician here at VCA VRA. Her hard work and our entire Critical Care Ward are greatly appreciated!

0 comments:

Post a Comment